Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Book Thief

While normal teenagers smuggle clothes and shoes home to hide from their parents, I smuggle books.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is the first book in a while that has affected me this much. This lady on the train kept staring at me while I was trying to contain myself from creating a dramatic scene and end up as a bawling heap of puddle on the filthy floor. I could feel my heart shatter and disintegrate into millions of pieces as if a bomb was thrown at me as well. The story was both tragic and beautiful.

This story is told in the point of view of Death during World War II in Germany. It's so clever and wonderfully written. It's about a girl living with her foster parents who are hiding a Jewish man in their basement. We see this girl bond with these people and her neighbours during that time and as the war escalates, there are more restrictions and dangers placed upon their lives. Having studied Nazi Germany during Modern History in high school really helped me understand the historical context.

 photo TheBookThief_zps8d6d0c8b.png

One of my friends (COUGH JASON COUGH) has been calling me an ass scratcher and trolling through my phone texting others about how my ass is itchy. I think I know where he got his idea from now. Earlier last week he told me he’s read the book as well and was going to ruin the ending for me. That saukerl. I’ve learnt a lot of German swear words thanks to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment